Soccer players usually make fans, especially those who make it to the big stage. Having played for the likes of Real Madrid, Juventus, and Manchester United, Cristiano Ronaldo is not only a great football player, but also a fan favorite.
The Portugal national team star has won the best awards any player could think of, including five UEFA Champions League titles, four Premier Leagues, and one European Championship. He also has five Ballon d’Ors and four European Golden Shoes.
His reputation, however, is not simply based on success, goals or assists. What differences him from other stars, including Lionel Messi, is his renowned work ethic. Ronaldo is widely recognized for his winning mentality and dedication to continue playing at the highest level. Here, check out the best motivational quotes from the Portuguese legend.
Either playing at Old Trafford with the Manchester United shirt or when he won his first Champions League before shining in La Liga or Serie A, Ronaldo has had admirers for most of his career.
In addition to drawing a lot of respect, his successful career has been a source of inspiration for millions around the world. Ronaldo has also directly motivated people with inspirational quotes. These are some of the most famous quotes from the Portuguese superstar:
40. “Today there are opportunities that no one knows if they will come around in the future.”
39. “Your love makes me strong, your hate makes me unstoppable.
38. “Winning–that's the most important thing to me, it's as simple as that.”
37. "We cannot spend our lives obsessed with what other people think about us. It's impossible to live like that. Not even God managed to please the entire world."
36. “Talent isn’t everything. You can have it from the cradle, but it is necessary to learn the trade to be the best.”
35. “Talent without working hard is nothing.”
34. “If you don’t believe you are the best, then you will never achieve all that you are capable of.”
33. “Without football, my life is worth nothing.”
32. "If we can’t help our family, who are we going to help?"
31. “I don’t want to be compared to anyone–I’d like to impose my own style of play and do the best for myself and for the club here.”
30. “They always have two stones in their hands when I speak. I am not a saint, but I’m not a devil either.”
29. “I am not a perfectionist, but I like to feel that things are done well. More important than that, I feel an endless need to learn, to improve, to evolve.”
28. “Maybe they hate me because I’m too good.”
27. "Scoring goals is a great feeling, but the most important thing to me is that the team is successful."
26. “The high point of my career was winning the Champions League. No one will ever erase that from my memory, in the same way that no one will ever erase the fact that I did it in a Manchester United shirt.”
25. "In football I don't have a lot of friends. The people who I really trust are few... Most of the time, I'm alone."
24. “To be the best, you need the best.”
23. “I want to consistently play well and win titles. I’m only at the beginning.”
22. “Sir Alex Ferguson was my father in football. He was crucial in my career and, outside of football, he was a great human being with me.”
21. “Dreams are not what you see in your sleep, dreams are things which do not let you sleep."
20. “I have my flaws too, but I am a professional who doesn’t like to miss or lose.”
19. “I prefer other people to make judgments about the way I play and to characterize me, rather than describe myself.”
18. “Dedication, hard work all the time, and belief."
17. “I’m living a dream I never want to wake up from.”
16. “I want to be remembered as part of the group of the greatest players ever.”
15. “Stay strong. Be brave. Go beyond.”
14. “I think sometimes the best training is to rest."
13. “If you think you’re perfect already, then you never will be.”
12. “To me, being the best means proving it in different countries and championships.”
11. “I’m still learning, but I think it's the best thing in life to have a kid."
10. “We should make the most of life, enjoy it because that’s the way it is!"
9. “We don’t want to tell our dreams. We want to show them.”
8. "I never promise anything. I don't promise anything to my mum. I don't promise anything to the supporters."
7. "It is my conviction that there are no limits to learning, and that it can never stop, no matter what our age."
6. “I know I’m a good professional, I know that no one’s harder on me than myself and that’s never going to change, under any circumstances.”
5. "I am not the humblest person in the world. I admit that."
4. “I see football as an art and all players as artists. If you are a top artist, the last thing you would do is paint a picture somebody else has already painted.”
3. “Don’t let small obstacles get in the way of being victorious. Remember you are stronger than the challenges you face.”
2. “I don’t have to show anything to anyone. There is nothing to prove.”
1. “It gives me the happiest feeling in the world. I just love scoring. It doesn’t matter if it’s a simple goal from close range, a long shot or a dribble around several players, I just love to score all goals.”
To be the best you need the best. That seems to be his mantra, as Ronaldo never leaves anything to chance. While others, in the event they were as gifted as Cristiano, may have eased off and let their talent do all the work for the Portuguese that was never an option. Instead, he made sure of maximizing all his potential by refusing to relax.
Though it’s safe to say he wouldn’t have achieved what he did without a lot of talent, his work ethic is probably what has set Cristiano Ronaldo apart from the rest. Each superstar has something that makes them unique. For David Beckham, it was his ability to take free kicks or his life as a celebrity. For Messi, it is his overall great performance. For Ronaldo, it’s a combination of talent and hard work.
He is, without any doubt, one of the most gifted soccer players the game has ever seen, but his motivation to always be better is why he entered the history books. Far from being satisfied with his innate talent and relying on it to do the job, Ronaldo has made sure of fueling his body the right way throughout his entire career.
It was through pure self preservation and care for his body that the Portuguese has been able to extend his time at the elite level until his late 30s. Ronaldo is one of the best paid athletes on the planet, with a net worth of over 400 million dollars. And he has earned every single penny. Clubs who have signed Ronaldo not only secured goals, impressive displays, and titles, but a true professional who would do everything to perform at his best.
How does he take care of his body? Well, Ronaldo has incorporated many good habits throughout his playing career. Not only does he hit the weight room or does cardio, but Ronaldo is also known for following a strict diet. "A good workout must be combined with a good diet," Ronaldo once said. He consumes a high protein diet, with whole grain carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables.
He avoids sugary foods or frozen food, anything that he eats has to be fresh. On top of that, Ronaldo also pays a lot of attention to hydration. Far from consuming carbonated drinks or alcohol, he mostly drinks water.
For Ronaldo, the key to success has not only been to adopt a healthy lifestyle. While eating well and training hard has been instrumental in his career, other complimentary habits have also contributed to finding the best version of himself. Mental training has been very helpful for the Portuguese as well.
"Learn to train your mind as well as your body," Ronaldo has said. "Mental strength is just as important as physical strength and will help you achieve your goals. Be disciplined. Keeping yourself motivated and sticking to your routine is key. For me, there is no room for easing off so I have to be strict."
Millions of people see the best soccer players of all time as unique talents that were gifted with an incredible ability to thrive in the beautiful game. For most of them we may admire the way they play, but that’s it. Cristiano Ronaldo, on the other hand, has become a source of inspiration. The Portuguese star has shown that through hard work many things are possible. Whether in sports or life in general, these Cristiano Ronaldo quotes can be useful anytime.
Discover more from your favorite athletes and watch the latest sports moments with The Highlights App. Sign up to the waitlist to be the first to know when the app is available.
Be the first to find out about our upcoming launch.